Here's our final take on Battleborn after tackling both the campaign and the multiplayer.
Battleborn is one of the most chaotic shooters I've ever played, and true to form it managed to frustrate and amaze me at the same time. The single-player and co-op campaign hinges on a threadbare story, propelled by forgettable NPCs flailing with non-stop hit-or-miss jokes. The multiplayer attempts to fuse genres by mixing in MOBA mechanics and is sometimes successful, but also misses out on sorely needed online staples. And the entire package is led by a cast that constantly piques my curiosity due to the brilliant in-match leveling system.

Each of Battleborn's two dozen characters has a fun look that creates an instant attraction, and the variety of their abilities digs the claws in deeper. After dipping my toe in with the standard soldier Oscar Mike, the literally lumbering Montana made for a natural progression. Before you know it, I was moving onto stranger selections like the melee-focused human-demon hybrid Shayne & Aurox. What gives each of their ability sets depth and diversity beyond the initial character choice is that you begin every new excursion at level one and progress through 10 upgrade choices in the course of a single session, with the twist that you have to choose the upgrades on the fly, like in a MOBA.
Continue reading…

Read More...