Some genres are just better in VR, and space fighter combat is one of them.
EVE Valkyrie is a great example of how a traditional game genre can be made much better when itís designed to be played in virtual reality. And Iím not just talking about immersion. Iím talking about being able to turn your head to track an enemy ship as it zips overhead and aim a weapon with your face. Itís a whole new level of dogfighting, and it makes Valkyrieís grindy progression worth sitting through.

When you join the multiplayer queue youíll cycle through standard team-deathmatch furballs and two point-capture modes. Theyíre all good Ė eight-on-eight space battles are usually thrilling, look great, and the mechanics are simple enough to pick up and enjoy very quickly. But the most exciting one is Carrier Assault, where you knock down the enemy flagshipís shields by capturing points and then attack it directly. This two-phase objective created some of the best battle moments Iíve had, between dodging enemy fire as I strafe their capital shipís weak points and picking off attackers whoíre too focused on attacking my carrier to notice Iím right behind them and have them in my sights.
Continue reading…

Read More...